A fun picture for the week...

A fun picture for the week...
A Satellite View of Elder Sorensen's Trailer in the Church Parking Lot in Many Farms, AZ

Saturday, September 19, 2009

The forty-second week...




Hi Everyone!

I want to start by saying “Thanks!” I am very thankful for your prayers and support of my family. My health is continuing to improve – as much as it can! I’m still working hard through it all! Our mission baptized 72 people this month! I enjoyed hearing all about the progress of the work at zone conference in Hyderabad . President Nichols said that we haven’t even peaked. The picture from this week is one of my favorites – 9 people dressed in white! I got to baptize the little girl Pryanka – she’s the one waving.

I really admire people here for being pioneers. It would be impossible for me to leave my comfortable church and go to one that only uses my second language. Often, people have to travel for 3 hours to go to church. It’s amazing! People literally have to leave all their family and friends to join the church. It’s a great strength to my testimony, but it makes me wonder why people won’t travel an extra 2 minutes to church. No problem - being a pioneer is hard. We have had people kicked out of their homes when their parents find out that they are baptized, and then the branch really helps and supports them. I will miss it when I come home.

I have a way strong testimony that missionaries will be more effective when they receive referrals. I challenge you to open your mouth more to people and give the missionaries referrals. Do you accept? If you do I promise tons of blessings. One week last month, we found 23 investigators and 17 were referrals. It’s the fast and effective way to do missionary work. Try and share a message with...someone... there are so many people all around. Look for people, keep praying, and talk to everyone! People may have had a recent death in the family, or a recent birth - these are all excellent opportunities to share the Plan of Salvation. Maybe you will be talking to someone and you may feel prompted to ask them if they know where they came from, where they are going, and why they are here. Just some ideas. It takes time to get used to and it takes a lot of FAITH!!! My best advice is keep praying for opportunities to share and courage to act when they come (that’s what Elder Bednar said) and most important - don’t let fear sneak in.

Elder Sorensen

2 comments:

amee sorensen said...

Wow! Great letter Elder Sorensen! It's good to hear from you! Glad you're hanging in there. That's very impressive about all those baptisms! Great job to all of you! And that little girl (who's waving in the pic) is soooo cute. You're doing a great job and I feel that YOU will be truly blessed by all that you are doing over there even thru all your trials. I hope this doesn't sound too cheesy, but I'm proud of you for keeping your positive attitude and outlook on life while you are serving the Lord and the people of India even thru all your health issues. They are lucky to have you. (And so are we!) ;)
Love you!

amee sorensen said...

BTW: the Saints are UNDEFEATED at 2-0! WooHOO! ;)

(Cheree - you can cut this if you want, I'm sure ya'll have already told him the good news! ;) lol)