A fun picture for the week...

A fun picture for the week...
A Satellite View of Elder Sorensen's Trailer in the Church Parking Lot in Many Farms, AZ

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The fifth week...

Elder Toleafoa, Don (Kennedy's brother), Elder Sorensen, Kennedy, some guy who jumped in the picture.

This is for the bloggers...

This week we almost got arrested. lol. There were a few terrorist attacks on a Hindu temple and this undercover cop kept asking us for our passports, but we are never supposed to show without seeing ID first, and finally he showed us, after he was way angered. He said "I almost threw you two away - for your own safety." Everyone is afraid to talk to white people because that is who they are attacking. lol.

While this was an interesting story to hear, I don't think it's the lol type...but we won't tell Logan that. Logan wrote a quick little story for the bloggers because I have been sending him the comments you leave. He says y'all can leave him a little "shout out" more often. He also said for Pete - that he has 2 ties that you gave him and he wears them all the time.

Losing Weight
Logan has lost a total of 14lbs as of this week. He said he is down 3 notches on his belt since leaving the MTC. Mom mentioned that he would probably just gain it right back when he came home to the States, but he said that he and Brian have a plan to make sure they keep it off. We'll see if that actually happens...

Elder T
Mom emailed Elder T this week. Apparently, he wrote an email that upset his family and his mom didn't email him this week. So, Momma S stepped in and sent him some encouraging words.

Hi Elder The Rock
So this is our first letter Elder Toleafoa. I am Elder Sorensen's mom. We call you Elder The Rock here. We think you look like him & you are bigger than our boy. We don't see that too much.

Thank you for taking such good care of him. He speaks highly of you. He says he loves you like a brother. That's saying a lot because he really loves his brothers and he is a very good brother.

I am glad he got you as his trainer. I have always prayed that he would have a great trainer that would teach him to work hard and appreciate the good man he is. My prayers have obviously been answered.

He said you didn't get an email from your mom this week so consider this your Mom email. I am sure she misses you just like I miss my missionary. Sometimes we just don't know how to express it.

So tell Elder Sorensen to share some of his Christmas treats with you and keep up the great work in India. I know it's hard but it will all be very worth it in the end.

Love,

Sister Sorensen
alias Momma S

Dear Sister Sorensen,
I really appreciate the note. Honestly I am the one who has been blessed with your son as my companion. I feel like we were brothers even before this world. You are right he definately is a wonderful man. I respect him and admire his great desires. We are having a lot of fun here and I have enjoyed my time serving with him. You and "Poppa Bear" have raised a wonderful family. Thank you for lifting my spirit. May the Lord continue to pour out His choicest blessings upon you and your family. Have a great week. Aloha!!
Much Love,
Elder Toleafoa

Members/Investigators
Kennedy has been coming with us a lot. We ate at Kennedy's a couple of nights. We had mutton biryani. It was really good. They gave us some beef that was pretty spicy but not too bad - and no serious sickness. I have been fine this week. I had a small cold one day. And it's gone now.

Yeah for fine!! Mommy worries about you being sick. What kind of beef? How is the smell at Kennedy's?
(He lives by the potty site)

Buffalo beef - it's all they got. It's not the same but I am way grateful for it. It's the only thing that looks the same. The smell went "away" - I got used to it. It's not a big deal any more. lol. I love Kennedy so much. He's amazing.

Rajini decided on a baptismal date - but not until 2010. Elder S was disappointed, but still optimistic because he is continuing to come to church.

The New Flat
Logan said he is enjoying the new flat - especially with the nice amenities they have.

This is the whitest my shirts have been in India. We have a washer now. It works pretty well. I am pleased.

Being a Missionary
Yesterday President Nichols told a story that explained exactly how I felt... I always wanted to see the Savior. I always hoped that I would be here for the 2nd coming and He would visit me - but we walked past this lady who we thought was dead and I felt really bad. President said that he had a missionary explain to him the same situation - but the elder prayed and said "Savior, visit these people first - they need you more." He felt the Spirit whisper "I did. I sent them you." How about that, huh?

Sometimes it's hard being a missionary. The last week was rough, so Mom wanted to make sure to send some encouraging words.

Are you happy Mancub being a missionary? The days are long but is it filling your soul? Do you feel closer to the Savior? Is your testimony growing? Can you feel it?

Sunday our lesson was from the Joseph Smith manual. The last line was about in the end we will know HIm. I thought of the times I have known Him. I have known Him through the cleansing power of repentance. I have known Him in times of joy but in the end I have known Him the best when I was at the saddest and couldn't do anymore on my own. At those times, I have gone to Him in prayer and said I can't do anymore and then I have known Him the best. He will carry you. I absolutely know He has the power and will use it to help you when you are down or discouraged. That is the beauty of the Atonement.

DON"T BE DISCOURAGED!!!! Work hard and rely on Him!!!

I am so happy - especially because of the wonderful support system I have. I haven’t hit rock bottom yet but I can already feel the Savior's love. It's amazing. I wrote this same email but really nice and our server crashed - so it's not as good - but I love the feeling I get while I am serving.

You don't have to hit rock bottom. You can just rely on the Lord and love your mission!! Everyday is one more day you can't get back - so love them all!!

And then Logan returns to his randomness....

So there is this Hindu temple backside of the church...it's about the size of the old tabernacle and half of the TC building. It reminds me of a Dr.Suess book. It is all colorful and there are wild pics of Hindu gods and all that everywhere. It's all pink, blue, green, red and all other cool colors. Thought you would like that - and so would the bloggers.

Letters from Home
We finally received some snail mail from India! It was so exciting to get his letters. It took about a month for our letters to get here and a letter I sent to him to get to him. He also received a letter from Kayla this week. He appreciates all the mail that is sent (even if he's not able to write you back right away, the letters are worth it)!

Animals
The only animals from this week were some parrots that he managed to snap some pics of. He couldn't get them to send though, so you'll just have to be patient until we get the CD with all the pics on it!

Deciphering Emails for the Blog...(just an idea of what I do to get the blog to the readers)
I am exicted that you got me a nativity!!!
its a lil smaller but its ok. u can tell its from india. except everyone is white. lol.
I got one pic. kennedy is pretty tall. i wouldn't mind dark people. you love them.
his brother Don is. kennedy is on my left, not smiling.
is he between you and T?
kennedy is on your right now smiling. he's not between t and i
there are 2 people on your right. he is the one not smiling right? i am not a blonde you do know this right? why did we get one pic?
ya. the other guy just jumped in. idk his name. kennedy is a little bigger. And he is on my immediate left. not between t and i.

Funny Story of the Week...
Elder S had the opportunity to go on exchange with Elder Siyyadri this week. They found a few people and went to a Districit choir activity. I couldn't resist posting his short description -

It was some choir thing where they sang Christmas songs and stuff like that. Well, they scream them because no one can sing.
running "lol" count = 226

3 comments:

Chris said...

I hope Logan is not the only white dude in India.

Momma_S said...

He is pretty white!! Interestingly enough, he says people like to touch him just because he is white. Kids in particular flock around him but that is nothing new. Kids have always loved Logan.

Christy said...

I LOVE reading your updates. The email that his companion sent brought a tear to my eye. I'm so proud of Logan and proud to be his cousin!
And I thought that last description of the Christmas singing was hilarious!